Friday, June 08, 2012

Amish Country Bread

Today I made bread and I'm not sure this house has ever smelled so good.  Baking bread has always been on my bucket list.  It's always seemed like the ultimate Betty Crocker goal to me- I have no idea why.  I think some book I read once described a woman who was the epitome of lovely, feminine, homemaker.  I pictured this woman with her hair perfectly coiffed, a cute A-line dress on under her '50's- esque apron, pulling freshly baked bread from the oven, perfectly flushed from the warmth.  

And so, I made bread.  In an unbrushed ponytail, the sweatpants I slept in, I did have an apron! (I attract more messes than anyone I've ever known) I made bread! And it was goood.


Doesn't that look tasty?  Here's the recipe so your house can smell good too!

Amish Country Bread

4 Tbs. Sugar
2 Tbs. Butter  (melted)
3 tsp.  Salt
1 1/2 C Hot water
2 Tbs. Rapid rise yeast
5 C Flour

Directions:

Put all ingredients but the flour into the mixer and let sit for a few minutes so "the yeast can do it's thing."  (I stirred the ingredients together and let it sit aka "proof" for about 5 minutes).  Add the flour in small batches & mix with a dough hook for 8-10 minutes.  (This is important!  If you don't knead the dough long enough the bread gets dense... which isn't always a bad thing!)  Remove & place in a bowl that has been greased.  Cover with greased plastic wrap and a cloth soaked in warm water on top of that.   Let dough rise until double in size (about 30 min).  Punch down & divide into 2 rounds and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Cut decorative slits on  top and cover again with greased plastic wrap and warm towel.  Let dough rise again.  Rub and egg white wash (1 egg white and 1Tbs. water) over the top and sprinkle with kosher salt.  I sprinkled with dried rosemary & parmesan.  Bake at 400 degrees fro 17-20 minutes.

Let me know what you think & enjoy!  Happy Friday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Posts